Monday, August 4, 2008

Camera Back Pack Reviews

Other than my camera and lenses, I have spent the most time researching and buying camera bags and equipment storage. Here are my 2 cents on some of the bags I own..

National Explorer NG 5162

Construction is very nice, the best thing about this bag is its versatility. I have been able to fit an E-3, the Sigma (Bigma) 500mm, the 2.8 50-200mm Zuiko and my E-410 with the wide angle lens. On top of that on the back it has space for a laptop. It says it can fit a 17" laptop but is very very tight. I was able to fit a 17" Lenovo. Lots of pockets to put all your other stuff and a nice feature is that it has a top compartment that you can remove the bottom and connect to the camera storage area. Its very good for carrying a small tripod on the side (I carry a Manfrotto 190X). Downside is that it can become very heavy and in order to access your equipment you have remove your bag, put it on the ground and access your equipment. Very good for travel on an airplane as well.
IMGP1056
Lowepro Slingshot 300
Very nice for small treks and city walks, it has a ton of space. Was able to fit the same or more equipment than in the NG but without the laptop. Problem is it can become very heavy and problematic for your back as the entire weight is being carried on a single shoulder. Is great for quick access to cameras. I sometimes carry my 2 cameras, hang my E-3 around my neck and leave the 410 for wide angle shots inside the slingshot
IMGP1051
Lowepro Fastpack 350
This is by far the best compromise between the slingshot and the NG. It can fit at ton of stuff, Both my camera bodies with their lenses and an extra equipment. It can also fit a laptop, I have carried a Lenovo 17" with it. Is carried as a backpack but it allows the same quick access that the slingshot offers. I have had this bag for 4 weeks and is great to travel and carry around. Only piece missing is a good spot to hang a tripod.
IMGP1053
Storm Case Im2500
This is where I keep my equipment at home, the one I dont use very often or that is not readily store on my Fastpack. Is great for keeping your equipment out of the dust, lots of space and you can buy accessories. It comes out of the box with the foam that can be shaped for fitting tightly with your equipment or with the Velcro dividers that are also customizable. Also other accesories can be purchased for the inslide lid. This is great for home storage or to move all your equipment in one go.
IMGP1055

0 comments:

Places I've shot in